As we move closer to opening our store we will seek candidates for the following position(s):
Startup General Manager
Shared Harvest Food Co-op is seeking a Startup General Manager to lead our successful grocery store launch. Shared Harvest will be a full service, member-owned, equal opportunity grocery store focused on local, sustainable and affordable food options. The GM will serve as a key player in leading the implementation and success of this start-up cooperative venture.
Shared Harvest Food Co-op has been years in the making. A committed team of grassroots community board members have worked to make the dream a reality.
Guided by the Co-op’s mission and reporting to the Board of Directors, the GM is responsible for the leadership and management of this start-up retail grocery operation. The ideal candidate will have senior management experience in the retail grocery industry, preferably in the co-op or natural food sector. The ability to develop and implement strategic initiatives, strong leadership and team-building abilities, excellent supervisory and communication skills, proven financial management experience, and a commitment to cooperative principles are very important.
Financial and Planning
- Prepare operating and capital budgets for approval by the board
- Work with the board to prepare proposals for lenders, including budget, cash-flow projections and business plan (plan already exists, but will need updating periodically)
- Ensure set up of bookkeeping and accounting systems
- Direct all financial operations of the cooperative
- Assist Board with member loan program as needed
- Investigate new business opportunities and make recommendations to the Board
- Plan and execute a margin strategy designed to be price competitive and maintain adequate profit for growth
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws; licenses, permits, health regulations, employment, etc
- Select and oversee installation of POS systems and IT services
- Arrange for service providers; utilities, janitorial, credit card processing, security, etc
- Work with vendors and purchasing staff to ensure adequate opening inventory
- Develop and implement merchandising plan
- Determine staffing structure and job descriptions
- Hire management staff and oversee hiring of all other staff
- Determine pay scale based on budget and local job market
- Develop and manage a staffing chart that promotes fair distribution of work while maintaining maximum service to customers
- Develop staff training plan
- Management training for management team members
- Orientation for all new staff, including training about natural foods and cooperatives
- On the job training for all staff, including cross training of staff in all departments
- Research and establish employee benefits program
- Develop an advertising and marketing strategy to increase public awareness of the cooperatives products and services
- Execute the advertising and marketing plan with budgetary guidelines
- Prepare or oversee store displays, signage, and other promotions to maximize marketing impact
- Community outreach
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. The ideal candidate will have proven successful experience with the functions listed below.
- Experience managing a retail food store
- Demonstrated experience with start-up of a retail business
- Bottom line accountability for a business with annual sales volume of $1 million or more
- Ability to analyze and report on financial performance
- Strategic planning experience
- Proficiency in accounting, including bookkeeping and financial statements
- Embrace values that align with a cooperative business
- Proven ability to build, develop, and lead a team
- Proficiency in Management Information Systems and POS software
- Experience in marketing in highly competitive markets
- Demonstrated experience in growing customer base
This role is responsible for the overall direction, hiring, structure, coordination and evaluation of direct reports and for carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
About Our Community
Situated in the Fox River Valley, Elgin, Illinois was founded in 1835. Elgin’s long history brought people and industry, including one of the largest watchmaking factories in the world. Although the factory ceased production in the early 1960s, the clocks at Chicago’s Union Train Station still bear the Elgin name.
- Elgin was once known as the “butter capital of the world”; home of the Borden Milk Company the largest producers of dairy products in the Midwest.
- Elgin’s population of 113,911, makes it the seventh-largest city in Illinois. We are proud of our diversity and culture. Furthermore, Elgin was recently highlighted in two national reports, naming Elgin as one of the safest and most diverse cities in America.
- Elgin’s economy is highly diversified, well-balanced and not dependent on a single industry or sector. And Elgin’s close proximity, 35 miles northwest of Chicago has kept it an ever-bustling city for residents and businesses alike. Some of the world’s leading companies share an Elgin, IL address; the Elgin Sweeper Company, Fisher Nuts/John B. Sanfilippo & Sons, Chase Card Services, Harting, Inc. of North America; to name a few.
- Elgin is the headquarters of School District U-46 which is the second largest school district in Illinois, serving 40,000 students from 11 communities. We feature great schools, affordable housing, excellence in healthcare services, and accessibility to cultural, entertainment, and recreation opportunities. We have a thriving local agriculture economy that offers farm-produced goods from the surrounding communities.
- Residents have access to the Fox River Bike Trail and the Illinois Prairie Path, numerous golf courses, swimming, boating and an array of sports and recreational activities. Plus, 1600 acres of parkland and 4000 acres of county forest preserves Enjoy Northern Fox River Valley
- Elgin is home to the Elgin Symphony Orchestra (ESO). The Illinois Council of Orchestras recently named the ESO, the 2016 Professional Orchestra of the Year. Known for their high-quality performances, ESO musicians represent some of the most talented musical artists in the region. From contemporary music and theater to shows for the entire family, the Hemmens Cultural Art Center features popular acts and special events throughout the year.
- Elgin is located within easy access to O’Hare International Airport and Chicago’s beautiful lakefront tourist attractions.
Come join us, Elgin offers something for everyone!